In this age of the internet, smartphones, tablets and laptops, the young generation watching TV are highly unlikely. Even the elder members of a family are relying on their smart devices and internet for most of their work and entertainment. But still televisions didn’t lose their appeal because of their magical ability to bring a group of family and friends together on special occasions. Satellite channels and special programs still attract people of all ages in Bangladesh. And since the grand joining of the smart technological advancement with the improved display quality, a new era of TV watching has begun. It is not just a big box of entertainment now, rather it is a great addition in the beautification and modernization of a smart home.
If you are planning on buying a new TV for your home, whether from a showroom or a classified online marketplace such as bikroy.com, this is the right time. And if you are getting stressed about how to buy the perfect TV set for your family, you have come to the right place! Today we are going to discuss the many aspects of buying a TV and which TV is best for which for which key features. So stay tuned!
Timeless rules of buying a TV
Wait for the right time for the best price
Unless you are a tech geek and want to buy a gadget just after if releases in the marketplace, you should wait for a couple of months to buy the same device at a reasonable price. In Bangladesh, you should wait for special seasons such as Eids and sale seasons, when the companies offer many discounts and free accessories with the television set. Doing so, not only you can buy them at the best price, you can also get many important accessories for free, which might cost you big bucks when you buy them with a latest model. Considering this point, now is the right time to buy a TV, whether it is HD, UHD or even 4K and higher.
Most of the specifications are useless
The highly marketed features and specifications you see in an ad or in the specifications sheet provided are given to you intentionally, so that you tend to buy the TV set of the highest price. The only numbers and specifications that matter is written under the Weight/Dimensions and Inputs. The main feature you should look at is the screen size and the picture quality. We will discuss them later in this article.
Screen-size does matter
You are probably thinking that the bigger the screen size, the better experience you get. Well, that is kind of true, but definitely on some other important terms. With a bigger screen you can experience the best UHD and even 4K channels. A big screen ensures a great viewing angle from every corner of your living room. You can bring your whole family or friends circle within a room and watch your favorite shows or movies together. Watching sports in a larger screen is indeed the best of the experiences. But you need to stay aware of the fact that even the slimmest flat-screens need to breathe out. You need to keep at least 1 to 2 inches of space on every side of the TV spared for ventilation.
Your room size is also a matter. If your room is not wide enough, you can’t buy a large TV because you cannot watch it while sitting too close and also it doesn’t look very good. So you need to keep the size of your living room and your interior setup in consideration while you choose the right size display for you.
Smart TVs are in
In this age of smartphones, regular televisions cannot compete with them for long. That’s where smart TVs come in. You can watch your favorite Netflix shows and movies or even tune in youtube for your favorite vlog channel or song playlist, or you can go with friends and watch some 3D movies in your living room with your new smart TV.
Smart TVs come with amazing controls and beautiful design with hidden wire mechanism. The remote control you buy should be a universal one and of the size you feel comfortable holding on to. Although you can turn a regular HD or UHD TV into a smart TV by using an inexpensive HDMI stick or box. So when you decide to buy a new TV, consider your budget and all the good things you can fit into that budget. Smart people can make anything smart according to their need.
Basics on Picture Quality
Picture quality is the prime feature of any flat screen you can think of buying. Almost every tv watcher has a taste for good picture quality and if you don’t bother about it that much, you can easily buy a cheaper TV with a large display, but you will miss out the greatest viewing experience that even a smaller screen can sometimes give.
Picture quality is a much complex matter rather than just counting pixels or reading it from a specifications sheet. You should read good reviews and guidelines like this one, and then get a proper understanding of a good display. When you read reviews from experts and see a good tv for yourself in the marketplaces or showrooms, you will surely know the difference. Once you study more, you will be willing to spend more for the best experience. There are some points that we have for you from our experience:
- OLED TVs have the best picture quality that you can get your hands on, but they’re quite pricey. Nearly every flat-screen TV uses LED/LCD technology, which is very different from OLED.
- The most important ingredient in a good picture is its contrast. Contrast means difference, higher contrast gives you more variation of color and a great visual. The ability to produce a deep shade of black translates into high contrast.
- Color/saturation is directly influenced by the contrast/black level. It is the second-most important factor for a great display. Then comes color accuracy.
- In a bright room, matte screens are the best overall, because of their ability to reduce reflections. The glossy screens preserve black levels well but cannot stop reflections, so u need to use them in a darker room.
- Some less important factors include resolution, color gamut, video processing, maximum light output and display resolution (4K vs. 1080p). You need to check the reviews of each TV model you put on your list before taking a decision.
- Poor picture settings on a good TV perform worse than a well-calibrated picture setting on an average TV. So dig deeper before you buy one.
Which TV is best for what in 2018
No TV has everything in it. Some are best for picture qualities and some have great features. So, as we promised, let us list down some names for you to look at:
- Best picture quality no matter the price: LG C8 series OLED TV
- Best value in OLED TV: LG B7A series OLED TV
- Best high-end alternative to OLED: Samsung Q8 series
- Best picture quality on a budget (in 2018 so far): TCL 6 series
- Best basic small TV (40-inch and smaller): TCL S305 series
- Best basic mid-sized TV (43- to 55 inches): TCL S405 series
Concluding this article, we can say that buying the best TV for your need is completely up to what you need first and then how much you are willing to spend on it. But never say no to a little bit of research before you stop by a showroom in person. Online marketplaces such as bikroy.com have a huge collection of TVs and TV accessories around your budget. Some are used and some are new, it’s your choice to look out for the best and grab your brand new TV set for your living room. Happy Shopping!